The Assistant Program Manager-Gillette Family Room operates as part of a team in the management and operation of the Ronald McDonald Family Room inside Gillette Children’s Specialty Healthcare in St. Paul. The Assistant Manager works cooperatively with all team members of the Family Room and RMHC-UM program teams to ensure that family needs are met and that families have top box satisfaction with RMHC-UM services. The Assistant Manager will work with members of the development, volunteer, facility, and finance/administration departments to meet other organizational goals.
Guest/Program Management and Family Programming Assistance
- Work closely with the Ronald McDonald Family Room Program Manager to maintain smooth operation of facilities including safety and security, inventory management and general maintenance. In addition, maintain décor upkeep, assuring community, family rooms and common spaces are inviting, comfortable and functional
- Apply guidelines to determine eligibility and make decisions regarding Ronald McDonald Family Room operations in the absence of supervision including determining eligibility, working with hospital staff to assign overnight rooms, family registration and management of complexities of families
- Work with the Manager, volunteers, and hospital staff to develop programming that further supports families and develops relationships both internally and externally
- Provide oversight of the cleaning to ensure it is maintained to defined standards of cleanliness and maintenance. Work with volunteers, facilities, and cleaning staff to ensure common space and overnight room turnovers are efficient and complete
- Frequently communicates and exchanges information both written and verbally with families, volunteers, hospital staff and the general public
- Work closely with Manager and other team members to accurately record and track usage of the program by families and volunteer hours
Support Volunteers and Cooks for Kids (CFK) Program-CURRENTLY PAUSED DUE TO COVID-19
- Greet and orient individual and group volunteers to Ronald McDonald Family Room and program tasks
- Develop and adjust individual and group volunteer schedules
- Work closely with the RMHC-UM volunteer department to coordinate and schedule CFK groups. Operate as the point of contact for all CFK inquires for the program. Communicate and coordinates with CFK volunteers about their upcoming volunteer event and provide informational updates as needed
- Produce weekly CFK calendars for families, hospital staff and organizational announcement
- Arrange/prepare the meal if a CFK volunteer group is not scheduled or does not show up
- Ensure that volunteers have a great experience while onsite
- Follow up with CFK groups to thank them for participating and work with them to schedule another date to serve
- Record and submit monthly CFK statistics
* Additional responsibilities during paused volunteer program due to COVID-19:
- In cooperation with the Managers discretion, assistance in the determination of daily food planning, preparation and serving
Expected Hours of Work
Monday-Thursday 1:15pm-9:15pm, Friday 8:30am-4:30pm
This is a 40 hour/week position. Hours of work are generally Monday through Friday and include evenings, weekends, and an on-call schedule due to programming needs.
Ronald McDonald House Charities, Upper Midwest operates programs within three local pediatric hospitals in Minneapolis and St. Paul and one in Duluth, MN. Programs provide services to families who have children receiving inpatient treatment in the hospital.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Associate degree required; Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Preferred experience working in a nonprofit organization and management of volunteers
- Experience in a fast-paced environment where needs and priorities change quickly and frequently
- High tolerance for multi-tasking and interruption
- Ability to resolve interpersonal conflicts and determine needed components of risk management.
- Ability to operate a computer and other office equipment such as a phone, copy machine and computer printer
- Experience with or ability to learn software
- Operates as a team player and able to work effectively with all employees and constituents of RMHC-UM
Competencies and Skills
- Excellent verbal and written skills
- Ability to maintain confidentiality according to HIPAA and other relevant privacy regulations
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to take initiative and persevere through difficult situations
- Willingness to get involved in the details, hands on, team player who will pitch in where/when needed
- Ability to relate to people of diverse ages and backgrounds
- Ability to work in a fluid environment with unexpected variations throughout the workday
- Ability to manage details, organize and prioritize tasks
- Compassion, kindness, and the ability to work with families facing a health crisis or loss of a child
- Frequently load and unload carts, stock shelves, strip beds and remove laundry, and take out trash weighing up to 50 pounds
- Perform cleaning tasks such as sanitizing, vacuuming, sweeping, mopping and general House cleaning duties when needed
Move about to provide tours to families, volunteers, donors, and hospital partners
Wear a mask onsite, wash hands frequently, monitor body temperature and risk of illness each day
- Maintaining professional boundaries, confidentiality, and self-care in an emotionally difficult position
- As an onsite employee, limit potential exposure to COVID-19
This job description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job, and it may change at any time with or without notice.
Ronald McDonald House Charities, Upper Midwest is an equal opportunity employer and at will employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. Further, RMHC-UM takes affirmative action to ensure that employees are treated during employment without regard to any of these characteristics.